Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Holy Shittim! Hosea 5:1-7

Well, I thought I'd just grab your attention with that title. And then, in this passage, what captured me, is the hiddenness of God, the unknownness of God, even to the priests and rulers of Israel. How corruption can befall (and often does) those in power or of pious standing. Thoughts?? I know a lot of Hosea is repetitive, but I really think that's to make a point to thick-skulled people. (Not that I need to defend the biblical text: "Stop picking on Hosea, guys!!!" - said with a whine - ok, now I'm talking to myself...)

"Hear this, O priests!
Give heed, O house of Israel!
For the judgment pertains to you;
for you have been a snare at Mizpah,
and a net spread upon Tabor,
and a pit dug deep in Shittim;
but I will punish all of them.

I know Ephraim,
and Israel is not hidden from me;
for now, O Ephraim, you have
played the whore;
Israel is defiled.
Their deeds do not permit them
to return to their God.
For the spirit of whoredom is
within them,
and they do not know the Lord.

Israel's pride testifies against him;
Ephraim stumbles in his guilt;
Judah also stumbles with them.
With their flocks and herds they
shall go
to seek the Lord,
but they will not find him;
he has withdrawn from them.

They have dealt faithlessly with
the Lord;
for they have borne illegitimate
children.
Now the new moon shall
devour them along with
their fields."

No comments: