Monday, December 3, 2007

Split Personalities

The thing that struck me about this passage is that too often I have the attitude of the theif on the cross who mocks Jesus. I'm in the mess I'm in because of ME and my attitude and my choices, and yet I yell, "Get me out of this! You're God, aren't you? Why aren't you doing anything!?!" I'm reminded of the verse in Proverbs 19:3, "A man's own folly ruins his life, yet his heart rages against the Lord."
What was it about the other thief on the cross, the one who asks Jesus to remember him when He is in His kingdom, that causes him to have such a different perspective? His heart is believing, he is humble and hopeful that Christ will grant him something he knows he doesn't deserve. It's such an opposite perspective, which we, as Christians are supposed to have.
What is it that makes some harden their hearts like the one thief, and makes others be humble of heart and opposite-thinking like the other?

1 comment:

AnnaSpringer said...

Oh, and the other thing that gets me is Christ asking God to forgive the people who are crucifying him, because they don't know what they are doing. This is so powerful, it nearly brings me to tears.
Romans 5:6-8
"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: WHILE WE WERE STILL SINNERS, CHRIST DIED FOR US."