Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hosea 1:1-9 A Response

Why?

Some might wonder why I would want to start with the book of Hosea for an online Bible Study; that tiny, obscure book in the inferior Testament. (I actually would prefer to refer to OT as "Hebrew Bible," sometimes calling it the "Old" Testament makes it seem like it no longer concerns us. Not true.)

I like this book, and chose it - with the help of community....Ahem, Anna Springer...are you out there?? - because I don't totally understand it. It kind of frightens me. It's harsh, it's heavy. I mean, how would you like to be "Lo-ammi," AKA "Not My People." I think I'd rather be named "Dorcas."

I think this book is a reminder of the character, the emotion, even, of God. What we learn from the story throughout the Biblical text is that God is continually faithful to an unfaithful people. And I have to believe that the unfaithfulness of God's people saddens God. That one person among the multitudes who goes astray breaks the heart of God.

God is real. And though we are made in the image of God, not the other way around, I think the story of Hosea indicates real feelings that humans can relate to.

And yet - not relate to. God could destroy us, detonate us. Yet amidst destruction continues to restore a remnant.

So far, in this passage, I see both the fear of God and the love of God. I think it is important to acknowledge both.

God has called us beloved, and we have turned astray.

We have been unfaithful, and God has called us "Lo-ammi."

What does that mean?

I don't know, but I could think on it for at least two lifetimes.

No comments: