Monday, September 10, 2007

Hosea 3 Response

In response to Kendra's question, I had a few thoughts.
It seems to me two ideas central to our American identity are those of Individualism and Consumerism.
Individualism: We are all about looking out for #1 - me or me and my family or me and those that are most important to me. So, perhaps God would call us to refrain from getting married or from dating anyone at all...in order to symbolize that loneliness and isolation of our individualism. Or perhaps he would call us to marry or partner with a dictator or someone who oppresses people, because when we persue only what benefits ourselves, we step on and oppress others.
Consumerism: What this actually is is Gluttony.
Proverbs 23:1-3
"When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive." I think food is a major example (just look at obesity rates in our country!), but I think gluttony extends to "stuff" too. How many of us have clothes we never wear, electronics that are out-dated, closets full of stuff we never use?
I'm not sure who/what God would have us partner with for this one...any ideas?

I think consumerism/gluttony ties in with individualism in that both of these ideas are pursuits of happiness. We pursue what we think will make us happy. And money or stuff will, won't it??? (If not stuff, than people will.) But where in the Bible does God promise us we will be happy? I'm pretty sure the fruits of the spirit don't include "happiness."
So we have this idea in our "Empire" that we're supposed to be happy. And I think that fuels our consumerism/individualism.

I'm struggling with this one right now. I like being happy. I like consuming things. I'm afraid God's will for me includes not being happy. That it includes not chasing after the things I want. Oh yeah, but doesn't God tell us that He knows what's best for us? That everything He does is for our good? It is so hard for me to remember this, to accept this, to grasp this. That I can trust God.

This song (by Switchfoot, of course) has been running through my mind as I write this...

Happy is a yuppie word
Nothing in the world could fail me now
It's empty as an argument
I'm running down a life that won't cash out

Happy is a yuppie word
Blessed is the man who's lost it all
Happy is a yuppie word

Looking for an orphanage
I'm looking for a bridge I can't burn down
I don't believe the emptiness
I'm looking for the kingdom coming down
Everything is meaningless
I want more than simple cash can buy
Happy is a yuppie word

1 comment:

Kendra said...

"blessed is a man who's lost it all" -yep, that sounds beatitudinal!