Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hosea 4:4-11

This time I posted the text of verses 4-11, but bolded the ones that really stood out to me. (Kind of like Lectio Divina, I guess) The verses bolded were familiar to me. Probably because I've read them before, but also because I think they tie-in the with the context of our contemporary culture. So my invitation for this passage is to pay attention! To yourself and the culture around you.

How do these phrases (almost lines of poetry, actually) connect with the world around you?

In addition, since these verses pose a problem, as a Christian believer, what is the "healing balm" to these entrenched, cultural and spiritual wounds?

Yet let no one contend,
and let none accuse,
for with you is my contention,
O priest.
You shall stumble by day;
the prophet also shall stumble
with you by night,
and I will destroy your mother.
My people are destroyed for lack
of knowledge,
I reject you from being a priest
to me.
And since you have forgotten the
law of your God,
I also will forget your children.
The more they increased,
the more they sinned against me;
they changed their glory
into shame.
They feed on the sin of my
people;
they are greedy for their
iniquity.
And it shall be like people,
like priest;
I will punish them for their ways,
and repay them for their deeds.
They shall eat, but not be
satisfied;
they shall play the whore, but
not multiply;
because they have forsaken
the Lord
to devote themselves to
whoredom.

No comments: